Tuesday, August 30, 2005

First, let me say that I am shocked and in disbelief at the devastation in my hometown of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina! Second, all of my family members are fine and have been accounted for. My mom Cathy, sister Michelle, nephew Julian, Aunt Laurie and Uncle Jimmy evacuated in time and are safe. Nana (Helen) stayed in her home, and it fared well compared to the rest of New Orleans. She is in Bellemeade subdivision, Gretna/Terrytown, Lower Jefferson Parish, and not affected by the levee breaches (thank God!). I talked to her last at 1130pm central time Monday and she told me her neighborhood flooded up into the yards, but not the house. She lost some shingles off the roof and part of the garage was severely damaged, collapsing the garage door down onto her car. Today I have not been able to reach her, or the neighbor across the street who also stayed. I think (and hope) the phone lines are down and nothing else happened. I will update again when I have any more news. Last, Dan has signed up as a volunteer to go to New Orleans and help with Coast Guard operations. We doubt they will pull from Alaska, but if they do, he will go. I love that brave hubby of mine! God help New Orleans! Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?